Saturday, October 27, 2007

Living by the stone


Living by the stone
He carved out figures.
Cut by cut, scrap by scrap
With his little fingers, eroding his worst fears.


Fear that his sweat might be too little
Fear that his pain might be too small
To achieve that epitome of an image
Where corners were points and edges true lines.


A pound of pain, a ton of labour
Never a
torture, sheer ardour
Just a constant pegging away at God’s will;
Perfection isn’t ever served on a platter.


Why stone did he choose?
When roses abound and petals lay strewn.
What path did he choose?
That none traversed and little had known.


This query they put, then back he shot:
“What fun there is in mocking the mocked?
Carving out garlands, anyone could
But a canvas of stone, only I would paint.


When a beaten path you all tread,
A new beginning from where would emerge.
Where all treaded the beaten path,
A dead end reached where nothing diverged.”


So back he went to work,
Driven by a desire to leave no stone unturned.
Cut by cut, scrap by scrap,
Thus were eroded his worst fears with his now content fingers.


(A new composition...hope you like it. Comments would, as always, be welcome.)

11 comments:

TheSoulSearcher said...

hmm..
have always been a fan of ur poetry..
but this one..passes them all..
great going buddy :)

Anonymous said...

Sheikh! You grew up big time man!

...nor am I a Writer. said...

Great going buddy... with this one you have raised your personal best to an all time high!

Akshay Rajagopalan said...

And so Ravi Bansal rises above rhyme! Your poetry has now gone to the next level. Please don't stop with this- keep up the momentum; 4th yr is the best time to blog.

Ravi Bansal said...

@ rahul, abhishek, abhinav

Thanx guys...even I regard this as my finest creation till date. I hope I continue in the same vein.

Ravi Bansal said...

@ akshay
Yeah, finally I rose above rhyme. I wrote a poem after 4 years..and I guess that the maturity I have gained has translated into the poem also.

Varun Murali said...

Can't find anything abstract or abstruse as you would put it about this masterpiece. Depressingly inspiring, I thought that was a Dravid eulegy after ging through the first 2 stanzas.

Ravi Bansal said...

Hmmm...it had to sound Dravidian...u couldn't have expected me to glorify anything else...could u?
And were you seriously serious about that masterpiece stuff, or was that my construct??

crazy devil said...

great man..the lines and thoughts are awesome..

Ravi Bansal said...

@ Rahul

Thanx man...keep reading.

Just me!! said...

good one!! :-)